Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes we did.

Last night was truly amazing. I got to witness history as thousands of people danced in the streets, waving American flags and chanting “U.S.A.” I have no idea when the last time was, if ever, that happened in San Francisco.

I experienced the same joy and relief as all of my fellow rejoicers. The feeling of pride to be part of a country that chose honor over negativity, hope over violence, and intelligence over narrowmindedness.

But it’s a bittersweet victory. At the same time I am finally proud to be an American, I am now ashamed to be a Californian. I am in utter shock that I live in a state that would vote to strip certain people of their rights to equal treatment under the law. Aren’t we passed that yet?

At the same time we’ve taken huge steps forward in this election, Proposition 8 proves that we still have a long way to go.

As PRESIDENT OBAMA says, let’s get to work.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I'm disgusted by the narrow-minded, ignorant bigotry and homophobia of those that voted for Prop. 8. It's another example of the intelligence destruction caused by religion. One Christian I spoke with -- after failing to be able to support any of his "reasons" for voting yes on Prop. 8 -- finally admitted that he was afraid that legalizing gay marriage might influence his son to become gay!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger shauna finn said...

yep - i just had a similar discussion with someone here - we went round and round and he had no logical explanation except that it "effects his values". why? are your values that precarious that they are shattered by someone near you who's a little different? he finally admitted he didn't want his daughters growing up thinking it's ok. WTF?????????????????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home