Monday, April 13, 2009

When in Mexico...

Today was my first Spanish lesson in Mexico. Also my first Spanish lesson in 20 years. Unlike my sister, who speaks every language in the world fluently, I’ve never been that good at them. I took Spanish in elementary school and then French in high school and college. And in the ten years since I’ve stopped taking any language, they’ve gotten jumbled up in my head until I can’t speak anything (sometimes I struggle with English). But I’m convinced that all that knowledge is there – I just need to access it.

Today I was able to learn a few key phrases that I’ve been practicing around town. Complexly constructed sentences such as “Me puede traer una mas taco de pescado por favor?” (can you bring me another fish taco please.” And “Me gustaria la cuenta.” (I would like the check).

The thing is that I’m so proud of my new language skills, that I expect a big reaction when I bust out with my new learnings – applause, or at least a solid pat on the back. Instead, I have been getting another fish taco. Or sometimes the check. It’s a little disappointing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home