Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The opposite of buying new bras



I met this girl at a barbecue last weekend.

She was telling me all about the experience of being photographed topless by Jordan Matter, as part of his Uncovered project. This photography project features pictures of women doing there normal thing in New York – hailing a cab, working on their laptops, talking on their cell phones – without any tops on. Simple really, but it sends a number of messages. You can interpret it in your own way.

Emma, the girl in this photo, was telling me about the experience of taking her top off in the middle of New York. She said it was frightening and embarrassing at first, then ultimately fun and embowering. Sexy and exciting. Freeing.

I can only imagine. I think the pictures are all beautiful, despite the varying ages, sizes and sagginess of the subjects. Looking through them makes me wonder, would I be able to do it? Would I want to?

20 years ago, “topfree” protesters overturned the New York law against females exposing their breasts in public. So, if it gets a little hot for the holiday tomorrow, just keep that in mind, ladies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home