Thursday, September 06, 2007

The four food groups

My travels through Japan have brought me to Kyoto, where I'm staying at a Ryokan, a traditional Japanese Guesthouse. Part of the fun of the Ryokan is that they feature traditional Japanese style baths (bathe with your buddies), traditional Japanese-style rooms (make yourself comfy on the floor), and traditional Japanese-style clothesm which are surprisingly comfortable.
Most importantly, the Ryokan serves us traditional Japanese-style food. Now, I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater, but I've discovered that the Kyoto-style of cooking features four major food groups: pickled, gelatinous, covered-in-slime, and still-in-possession-of-its-eyes. Sometimes they like to combine these food groups with a lovely, slimy gelatinous fish cube. Yum.

Kyoto is amazing though, full of beautiful temples, enchanting lantern-lit streets and tonight I saw the prettiest sunset I've ever seen. Complete with a traditional Japanese rainbow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home