Friday, August 24, 2007

Appreciating what I've got before I've lost it

There is nothing that makes you love a city more than impending departure.

And there is nothing that makes a city love you more than the thought of losing you.

Suddenly my phone is ringing off the hook, friends are coming out of the woodwork and New York, as a city, is being remarkably well-behaved.

I wonder if I could live my life on the constant brink of leaving. It would be stressful and sad, but I would be in continuous appreciation of my surroundings. I would make sure to enjoy the moment and repeatedly thank the universe for the beautiful trees on my street, the wacky energy of Union Square, the history-seeped tin ceilings of the local pub, the creaminess of the cheese in the cannolis… I could go on.

Oh, New York, I can’t leave you.

And San Francisco, I just can’t stay away.

Once again, torn between to lovers.

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Pete Nicely said...

I'd hate to sway you one way or another. But this is pretty rad: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/nyregion/25summer.html?ex=1345694400&en=bc167bb7c725cc43&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home