Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Californians in Wisconsin

My family arrived in Milwaukee last night for a family reunion. Things are a little bit different here than they are in Berkeley and New York. Half my immediate family is vegetarian, and it has not been easy for them to find dinner.

I consider myself a very open minded eater. But I still suffered the following conversation with the waiter manning the breakfast buffet this morning.

“Do you have any skim milk?”

“No.”

“Ummm, two percent?”

“No.”

“I’m not even going to ask about soy milk.”

Blink. Blink, blink.

But really, what can I expect from a state that has restaurants with this menu. Please note the line at the bottom assuring that all sandwiches are served with a “generous portion of butter.”



Steak is $3.40? Welcome to America’s Dairyland.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this what my veggie-ass has to look forward to next week in illinois? meat and, undoubtedly, fried veggis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home