Thursday, September 06, 2007

To have a cleaning tool of colorful and cute

One of my favorite parts of traveling through Japan is reading all the hilarious English translations. I do not mean to mock the Japanese nor their language skills. Believe me, I'm not one to talk - I've been here four days and the only thing I've learned to say is "Thank you."

But how can I resist posting pictures of these signs in a country where crepes are "Fleecy and softened," cleaning tools are "In a mood of picnic," and visitors are "smoked?"







Then there are the Japanese T-shirt that try to fit as many cool American words in as possible, regardless of whether or not they make sense.
In case you can't read that jumble, it says "Violation hamburger ryhme island hamburger it will make you crazy and being insanity."

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would think in a country as prosperous and well-educated as japan, there would at least be ONE GUY who was a proficient translator?! maybe they are too cheap to pay that guy so they let their friend who swears he knows english translate for them!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger shauna finn said...

either that or they have brilliant senses of humor

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

all of these mistranslations are making me want to go to Japan. bad English is one of the best parts about traveling in foreign countries. that and sketchy guys in hostels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home