Thursday, December 06, 2007

Finally deep enough for Yoga

It looks like I’ve matured. Or perhaps I just found a teacher and style I like. Or maybe it’s just that the yoga studio is around the corner and I have no job. Whatever it is, I’m finally doing yoga regularly, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, but could never get into it. Actually, I hated yoga and found it terribly boring.

But that was the old Audrey. The Audrey that would rather do 30 pushups than downward dog (incidentally, neither of these are things I can really do). The new Audrey wakes up in the morning, puts on her Lululemon pants and heads over Yoga Tree two or three times a week to see her favorite teacher.

This teacher doesn’t care that I’m about as flexible as a wooden stool. She doesn’t care that I can barely reach the floor when my legs are straight. She thinks it’s fabulous that I simply made it to her class.

Yesterday, as I floundered to reach my left toes, I told her that my left hamstring is always tighter than my right. She said, “That is so great that you know that about your body.”

And then to the class, “Did you hear that class? Audrey just told me that her left hamstring is tighter than her right – it’s so important to be aware of our bodies like that.”

Okay, so maybe it’s special ed yoga. But maybe that’s just what I needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home