Thursday, March 27, 2008

Diary Thursday: “I like you more as a friend”

Ah, the classic line. I thought it was a Junior High thing, but the older I get, the more it becomes applicable. Let’s face it, in Junior High, the only thing that separates you from friends and more-than-friends is the occasional hand-hold and quick smooches under the jungle gym. In your 30’s, there’s a lot more to worry about…. where is this going? Do we have the same goals? Can we make this work long-term? And I thought dating was complicated back then.

Saturday, September 15, 1990, 13-years-old, 10:14pm

Yesterday I talked to Nick. We kind of broke up, I think. I said the classic, “I like you more as a friend” line. He said he still wanted to see me because he missed me. Yuck! Then we talked for another 20 minutes and I realized that I don’t like him as a friend. I don’t really like him that much at all.

We spent 20 minutes talking about completely different things; he was going on and on about raps and people I’d never heard of. Then I’d say something I was interested in. He’d ignore it and go back to his raps.

I don’t like him, period.

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like you now,
And I liked you then,
My heart broke when we just became friends.

My hardcore raps go with my hardcore life,
I coulda made you my hardcore wife.

Instead we split,
We went separate ways,
And since 1990 I've been counting the days-
Until you came back
And we could reconcile,
My many tears could fill up the Nile.

But I promise that I'll listen,
To all the dreams you're wishin',
I'll be sure to call you once I get outta prison.

143,
Nick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home