Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chapter Two

My three-week trip to Mexico has three chapters. They all take place in the same town, but each chapter has its own focus. This is a stark contrast from my usual way of traveling, where I see as much of a country as possible in a short period of time. But that can be a little stressful. And I needed a relaxing vacation (from my relaxing vacation of a life back home as a laid-off copywriter.) Still, it’s been nice to just slow down and get to know one place (and, more importantly, myself).

Last week, I enjoyed a heavenly yoga/meditation retreat at the amazing Haramara retreat center. From the open-air, candle-lit rooms, to the 360-view yoga palapas to the amazing food – that place was built for relaxation. Although the best part of my retreat was the people. And they were all imported from San Francisco.

Right now, I’m on chapter two. This one is a mix of Spanish lessons, surfing lessons, and yoga classes while at the same time, attempting to get my freelance work done. The latter is slipping a little. But, as you saw from yesterday’s post, my Spanish is improving.

Chapter three, starting Saturday, will unravel all the relaxation and centering I’ve accomplished in the first two chapters. From the wheat-free, meat-free, sugar-free, dairy-free and sometime cooking-free delicious food at Haramara (for two days we ate raw – I was amazed at how good it was). And this budgety week of eating nothing but smoothies and fish tacos. I expect next week to be a feast of cheesy, chicken enchiladas, margaritas and beer, to drown out all that health, when six friends arrive from San Francisco and we spend a week partying in a rental beach house. I think it’ll be a great way to end the trip.

Tomorrow I’ll start posting some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home