Thursday, October 19, 2006

Keep on truckin'

Cruising down the 114 South from Providence to Newport, RI. Baby Dayliner on the stereo. Cool, grey water on my left, fiery autumn trees on my right. This is one of those times when I say to myself, “Remember this moment. This is a rad fucking moment.”

If there’s one thing that’s been great about this trip, it’s that the traveling has been as much fun (if not more) than the destinations. The cities I’ve visited have been beautiful and interesting, but the roads in between them, the trees and the lakes and the little towns – those are the parts that I enjoyed most.

I’m going to steal a line here from a girl in my copywriting class a few years ago, I think it was an ad for Amtrak or something: “Somewhere on your way from A to B, you realize the distance between the two is the point.”

Excuse me while I pretend to be deep for a moment. This road trip experience is a good lesson for life – it’s not about getting to each milestone, it’s about enjoying the journey. It’s about appreciating the sights along the way, listening to good music, and always looking before you change lanes. I think I just lost the metaphor at the end there. But you get my point.

P.S.
I pulled over into some person’s driveway to write this, and miraculously, there’s a wireless signal here. Things really are working out quite nicely.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...i already miss it!!! a beautiful roadtrip it was indeed.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home