Thursday, September 20, 2007

Escape from the cities

I think I found the prettiest place in all of Japan.

It's a little island just off the coast of Fukoaka (the coolest city in all of Japan). This little island, Nozo-something-or-other, has a population of 800. Just 800 people, wild flowers, gorgeous ocean views and very relaxed bunnies.




It also has some wooden signs, but they're all entirely in Japanese. There's something fun about not being able to read the signs. It feels like people are trying to tell you something, but you're not entirely sure what.

In train stations and on city streets, this is feeling is incredibly frustrating. But on a remote island, it was very freeing. It meant which meant I was free to do as I pleased. The signs probably said "Don't walk here, freshly mowed grass." Or, "Beware of attack-rabbits." But I couldn't read them, so I spent the afternoon walking blissfully among nature. Oh, the joys of ignorance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home