Friday, September 25, 2009

New Yorkers

On Tuesday, I decided to try yoga in Brooklyn, a whole new phenomenon after my two years of San Francisco yoga. The class was nothing to write home about, but what I did appreciate was the children’s yoga class going on in the next room. As I was checking in, I got to hear a brief smidgen of the kids.

TEACHER: Okay, now we’re going to all act like New Yorkers, everyone pretend to be a New Yorker... Julie, what are you acting like?
JULIE: I’m a snooty lady.
TEACHER: Great, snooty lady, I see that nose in the air. What about you, Amber?
AMBER: I’m late, I’m looking at my watch.

I found it highly amusing that that’s what “New Yorker” meant to these kids, who are themselves New Yorkers.

Of course, if the were asked to act like San Franciscans, they’d probably sit down and meditate or pretend to compost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home