Thursday, July 27, 2006

Who is this girl, and what has she done with Audrey?

Today at lunch, for the first time in my life, I went shopping for a purse. I don't usually wear purses, much less shop for them. Sure, I've purchased a "bag" or two. One time I begrudgingly let someone buy me a purse. But this, this is insane. I'm not sure what's come over me the last few weeks. Somehow, since I moved to New York, I turned into a GIRL.

Maybe it's because tomorrow morning I leave for Mexico to attend a wedding where the guest list is largely comprised of Marina Girls. Marina Girls, for those of you that have never lived in San Francisco, are high-maintenance, yuppy, ex-sorority girls. They are often blonde, and they are usually found in San Francisco’s Marina District, however I have discovered that you can stumble on Marina Girls in every city, state and country. A somewhat harsher definition can be found here.

However, through my friendship with Susan, the bride-to-be, I have found that Marina Girls can also be very caring, intelligent and kind people. See how much I learned by living in San Francisco? Susan says I used to introduce her as: “This my friend Susan, she’s lives in the Marina, but it’s okay – she’s cool.” (Did I really say that out loud? What a bitch I can be.)

So whether it’s because I’m trying to impress these Marina Girls, fit in with them, or simply because I need a receptacle in which to carry my wallet, keys and camera (Cate says the plastic grocery bag I usually carry them in doesn’t match my dress), I decided to buy a purse. A nice purse. A purse that’s not made of thin grocery store plastic.

Which brings us to Audrey, out in Manhattan, shopping for a purse. One little hiccup in the plan: I don’t know how to shop for a purse. Is there an art to it? I just did what made the most sense to me. I emptied the contents of my current bag – phone, wallet, iPod Shuffle, subway map, notepad, a tampon or two, and a pen – into the purse in question and then carried it around the store for a little while.

I don’t think this is what most women do. I got some strange looks. Well, Miss Disapproving Anne Taylor Sales Lady, if I don’t put my stuff in the purse, how do I know it will fit? And if I don’t practice carrying it around, how do I know that it feels right? Don’t worry, I will take the tampons out of the purse when I’m done. OR, maybe I’ll leave them in as a special gift for your next customer.

After trying out a few different purses at multiple stores, I found one that I liked. It’s small, it’s silver, and it has a tassel. It’s very pretty. I’ve named it Peggy.

Peggy and I will be blogging from Mexico amidst the Marina Girls for the next four days, assuming the hotel has wireless Internet. If not, we’ll have to catch up on Tuesday.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Audrey blog readers, it's true. When Audrey returned home with her new "wristlett" appropriately named Peggy, I witnessed the attempt to stuff Peggy with all her belongings. And if you know Audrey, she doesn't carry many things with her. However, when she thought she was able to squeeze everything into Peggy the wristlett, she snapped it closed and then realized she hadn't put her house keys in yet! doh! A little more rearranging, and Peggy was able to hold all of Audrey's belongings while barely bulging at the seams. We then decided it'd be a good idea to take Peggy for a trial run to the bank. In the rain. At 11 o'clock at night. Audrey and Peggy. Let's hope they live happily ever after.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the part about carrying the grocery bag around as her "purse" is not fiction. in fact, i ended up carrying her stuff all over san francisco, just about everytime we went out, simply to avoid being seen out with audrey and that damn plastic bag. but seriously, if you move home you can carry around whatever you want. even one of those pink plastic bags that you usually find in china town. come home. soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home