Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Working out nicely

After a leisurely month of no exercise, I decided it was perhaps time to look into joining a gym. Sure, I bike all over Brooklyn, but with no hills to speak of, it doesn't feel like much of a work out, and the bike lanes don't have air conditioning.

So yesterday I walked into one of Manhattan's swankiest gyms and told them I was possibly interested in becoming a member. I then had to sit through a sales pitch from an attractive, aryan salesman who had probably never sweated a day in his life. I said the all the right things - Yes, I think fitness is very important. Yes, I work at a big corporate company that I would possibly be interested in a corporate membership plan. And yes, I am virtually swimming in disposable income. None of these things are entirely true, but he's a salesman. And you're allowed to lie to salesman because that's what they do for a living.

And at the end of our little 10-minute bullshit session, he gave me a free week-long trial pass. Now I get to work out at a snazzy gym for free all week. I may have to dodge a few more sales pitches, but it's well worth the steamroom, the free towels and showers with shampoo AND conditioner.

Once this week is over, I plan to pretend I want to join Manhattan's 2nd most swanky gym. I wonder how many gyms there are in New York. I assume that there are enough to enable me to workout membership-free for at least the next couple of months.

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger QuarBy said...

conditioner too?!?! daaaaaaaamn!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger grensley said...

oh dear auds, google gives all that stuff to their employees minus the sales pitch. le sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home