Friday, September 22, 2006

Of all the nights to forget my camera

Last night I went to a launch party deep in Chelsea for a new magazine called “Good.” My friends and I were already impressed by the C-list celebrities in attendance. Isn't that chick a VJ on MTV? And look, the keyboardist from the Brazilian Girls! When who should walk into the door of this chic, artsy party but America’s favorite democrat, my hero, Al Gore.

I turned to my friends in disbelief. No one had noticed his entrance yet, so I seized the opportunity to go up and introduce myself. My heart started pounding as I approached him, like he was my childhood pop idol or something. By the time I shook his hand, I was sweating profusely. Rarely have I sounded more like a 15-year-old asking Justin Timberlake to sign her forehead.

"I'm a big fan!" I gushed. (He's not the fucking Beatles, Audrey, he's a politician)
"Thanks."
"I saw your movie. It was really scary…." (Please sound like you have an education) "But like, powerful…” (Oh god, you sound like Paris Hilton) "But like…. Scary. Yeah. But like…. Important." I couldn't believe the idiocy that poured out of my mouth. I finally was able to take a deep breath, look him in the eyes and express what it was that I really wanted to say.
"I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the important work your doing."
"Thank you." This time he sounded genuinely pleased. He even smiled.

At which point I ran away to giggle to my friends and text message every single person I know.

I later met Elizabeth Berkeley at the party and had a similar conversation. "Showgirls was like, so scary… but like, powerful… but like, scary…" No I didn't. I'm kidding, I didn't even talk to her.

As soon as I ended my conversation with Al, the party descended upon him in a giant mob of lights and cameras and fans (those people are so immature). So I never got a good shot of him on my phone. Instead I got a video of Grand Master Flash spinning . Apparently he invented scratching, which is cool and all, but is he saving the planet from its ultimate destruction? No.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Audrey had much more courage than I to speak to Al. All the free vodka drinks helped. I still think we should of brought him a cocktail. I bet he would have like that.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that party looks pretty bad from the gawker video. im embarassed to like rap music once again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home