Thursday, May 03, 2007

Reason #12 why I could never be thin

Soul food.

Sure, I’m a middle-class white girl from Berkeley, raised on lattes and matzoh ball soup. But there’s just something about real soul food that brings back the sweet, sweet taste of home.

Last night my pals and I joyfully stuffed ourselves to the point of vomiting at Ruthie’s “Authentic Southern Food” restaurant. I’m not sure which I enjoyed most, the barbecued chicken, the real cheddar mac and cheese goodness or Ruthie herself – an elderly southern black woman, still in charge of her bustling kitchen where “everything is homemade with my mama’s old recipes.” Okay, yes I am. It was the mac and cheese. God damn it was so gooood. I kind of want to order a giant bowl and roll around in it.

3 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jules said...

is new york trans fat free yet? just wondering.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger QuarBy said...

holy god that looks good

 

Post a Comment

<< Home