Monday, February 04, 2008

Acquired

It’s been a crazy few days at work. For the few of you left that I haven’t told, last week I was hit with a big surprise at my job. When I started working here, I thought I was leaving the advertising world to work at a small, privately-owned sustainability consulting firm. Then, one week into the job, we had a big meeting announcing that we had been acquired by one of the largest and most influential global advertising ad agencies in the world. Surprise!

As you can imagine, some of the folks here are concerned that we’re being taken over by the “evil” corporate ad people. But from my perspective, with my background in advertising, I think that this is a great opportunity for this company. Our unchanging mission is to send an important message to everyone – from individuals to large corporations – about how to live life better and more sustainably. Now with this big company behind us, our reach is that much wider.

Sounds like I’m drinking the Koolaid, I know. But I’m really, truly excited about this opportunity. I feel like I got here just in time to help build this company from the floor up (all the employees here are helping out in the process of opening 5 new offices around the word in the next three months). And once this company is built, it has the ability to change the world as we know it.

As my CEO put it, we are committed to world-changing ideas that help build a sustainable future across all dimensions: economic, environmental, social and cultural. No company will succeed unless it shares an inspired, sustainable benefit.

Also, he told me this in his socks. Because that his how we conduct all big meetings here – on pillows on the floor of our conference room. I can’t wait to see this practice spread to corporate offices around the world.

I wonder if the new employees across the world will flush their pee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home