Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Rejoining the work force

It’s day #2 of my new job. After a prolific 1 and ½ years of freelancing, I decided to accept a fulltime position. This is a big step for me. It means waking up early every day, giving up my morning yoga classes and my volunteer tutoring, and, saddest of all, my regular month-long travel intervals.

But, this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Let me explain. I’ve worked as a copywriter for over four years, and for the first time, I’m have a chance to use my talents for good instead of evil. I’ve always enjoyed advertising. Getting to be creative all day is fun, and the people I work with are always cool. However, I’ve never quite been able to reconcile the fact that the end goal of my job is to get people to buy shit they most likely don’t need. Or to differentiate one brand from another, equally pointless brand. It was hard for me to stay motivated when all I was trying to accomplish was selling stuff.

But this job is different. Firstly, it’s not an ad agency, it’s a strategic outreach company with a small creative department. Secondly, we’re not selling anything, we’re working with other companies (mostly big corporations) to make them more sustainable. And I get to write about it.

Basically, I’m saving the planet… with my words. Beat that for a fulltime job.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the new gig! sounds fresh! -ts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home