Monday, June 01, 2009

Saturday at Maker Faire

Saturday morning, I was up bright and early (not an easy feat after the barn dance fundraiser I attended Friday night) to bike ride down to the Maker Faire. This plan was not so much due to me being adventurous or active; more just because I’m cheap (bicyclists save $10 off the entry fee). So after two hours of biking, I arrived at an expo center in San Mateo full of people who make things, and the things they made.



It was amazing. All these crafts, kinetic energy machines and robots made simply just because. They’re uses were artistic or scientific at best. It made me feel silly just for sitting around my house and writing when I could be:

Creating single-person muffin cars.



Or jeeps covered in Legos that you can add your own addition to.



Or remote-controlled warring robots.



Or, my personal favorite, a life-sized Mousetrap game.



Remember this game from the late 80’s? It was a big part of my childhood, so I especially enjoyed it being played life-sized in front of my eyes – they pulled it off with only a couple hitches:



See more pics here, including the art I made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home