Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The many stages of caffeine




Coffee. The corporate drug. I love it and I hate it. I've found that it affects me different ways depending on how much and how often I drink it. You'd think after working at and hanging out in cafés since highschool, my body would build up a tolerance. But no, I'm still a slave to the caffeine highs and lows. Here is a brief analysis:

STAGE 1 (usually occurs after my morning latte)
one shot of espresso = I-can-do-anything:

Isn't it a gorgeous day outside? The sun is so lovely, I’m just gonna strut down the street with Wham! blasting out of my iPod Nano. When I get to work, I'm going to do some fabulous writing. What shall I write today? A musical! That's it! I'll write a glorious full-length musical. I’ll work on it all day and be done by this afternoon!

STAGE 2 (Occurs when I give into the temptation of just one more cup)
too much coffee = tense and angry:

Can you believe the nerve of these people, making my to work at the office, as if that's my JOB!? I wanted time to write the great American musical. Now that’s not gonna happen and good god, can that man next to me slurp his soup ANY FUCKING LOUDER???

STAGE 3 (Occurs after all caffeine has worn off)
caffeine low = depression:

Sighhhh, my life is so hard. There's nothing to work towards. I can't write a musical. I can't even read music. What the point to life, anyhow? There is none. We're all just cogs in a giant corporate machine moving slowly towards death.

What an amazing range of emotion in one short day. It definitely keeps things interesting. Perhaps I should try speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home