Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Christmas Miracle

My brother, Tyler, wanted one thing for Christmas and one thing only: A Bathing Ape (Bape) hoodie.



Yes, I know, I think they’re ugly too. But apparently they’re all the rage with the kids these days. Such the rage that a new one costs $300. No joke. I had to wait in line at the Bape store in New York (the only one in the country) for 15 minutes to find that out.

Luckily, they’re also available on eBay. Unluckily, most of the listings on eBay are fake, which I also found out the hard way – bidding on one for $80, paying the money and then watching the listing get pulled and the account close before I got the item. My three emails to the seller were unreturned. The situation did not look good and I was waiting until after Christmas to call Paypal and attempt to get my money back.

Thus, upon my return home to Berkeley I had to explain to my little brother that he wasn’t getting the hoodie he asked for and he would have to remain tragically unstylish for yet one more year of middle school. Somehow, my makeshift gift of “An afternoon of Quality Time with Your Big Sister” just didn’t measure up.

Christmas morning came and the four of us “kids” (though I’m nearly thirty) tore through our stockings and all the gifts under the tree. Tyler was once again disappointed that he had no Bape hoodie. Though, I’d warned him ahead of time, I think he was hoping I was just trying to throw him off track.

We were cleaning up wrapping paper when we heard the doorbell. Tyler went to answer it and returned carrying a package. He ripped it open and there it was: his Bape hoodie. Loud and ugly as ever. The kid actually smiled as he put it on and zipped it up.

I haven’t believed in Santa for over 20 years, but yesterday made me wonder just a little.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, $300 buys a you a whole lotta ugly these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home