Friday, February 16, 2007

Labor of love

In keeping with yesterday’s theme of my mother and her obsession with reproduction, I’ve posted my next story at Auds and Ends. For those of you that know my family, this should sound very familiar. For those of you that don’t, well, this should explain a lot about me.

I saw my first live childbirth before I could talk. In fact, by the time I could say “Placenta,” I’d probably seen about three dozen. My mom was a home-midwife and when she couldn’t get a babysitter for last-minute births (which pretty much all births are, fetuses don’t exactly send a “save the date” card) she’d just take me along. Some people think it’s weird that I was exposed to so much raw emotion, so much blood and gore, so much vagina at such an early age. But, growing up with it, I thought it was the most natural thing in the world. And, when you think about it, reproduction is the most natural thing in the world. Read more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home