Thursday, October 11, 2007

Why I moved home

Yesterday I got to hang out with my grandma. I'm not sure how much I've already written about her, but she's pretty much the coolest lady alive. And she's 95, so she knows way more than most people I've met.

Talking to grandma is a grab bag, you never know what story you're going to get, but it's sure to be entertaining. Whether she's telling me about her childhood in New York, her short story reading club meeting last week, or the dance class that she taught earlier that day, I'm amazed at how much detail she remembers from each occurrence. And I love to hear the way in which she looks at the world.

Then there are the newspaper clippings. No visit to grandma's is complete without receiving an envelope filled with articles from the Chronicle that she thought I might like to read. I think she keeps a dozen envelopes on file labeled for each of her children and grandchildren in her scribbled capital letters. My envelope inevitably holds the articles detailing the latest San Francisco singles' club or a new online dating site. Grandma has many great traits, but subtlety is not one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home