Sunday, June 08, 2008

New Releases

I may not be your average fashion-focused woman, but I enjoy the occasional girlie bonding activity. So I was happy to accept an invitation last week to see “Sex and the City” with 20 other girls. We decided to get dressed up and meet before the film for cocktails at the bar in the theater. (Yes, they have bars in move theaters now). Oh, what a novel idea – cosmopolitans before seeing “Sex and the City.” I put on my nicest jeans and showed up at the theater to find 200 other girls with the same cosmo-based idea.

Aside from the 20 girls that were actually there with me (only 4 of whom I knew), there were 20 other giant groups of girls at the theater bar. All in their fancy clothes. All trying to order cosmos and discussing which of the four SATC women they most resembled. (According to a test I took on Facebook, I’m Carrie).

So, before the movie even started, I was a little over-girled. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy the film. It was cute and entertaining, and I shocked myself by shedding a tear over one particularly moving scene about a designer handbag.

However, I have to admit that I enjoyed myself far more later that week, when I got to see the latest Indiana Jones film up at Lucas Ranch. I can’t decide which was cooler – watching Harrison Ford get up to his old antics, or getting to see the spot where Lucas’ team mixed all the sound for, like, every movie ever.

Ever since I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at a sleepover when I was five, I’ve had the biggest crush on Indiana. As soon as that familiar music swelled, I was hooked. And I don’t care if the plot didn’t really make a hell of a lot of sense. I loved every minute of that film.

Though I adore my ladies, my loyalties lie with you Indie. I would chose fighting killer ants to save Mayan ruins over shopping on 5th Avenue any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home