Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Party like Barack Star

My lifestyle makes no sense to me sometimes. Yesterday after work, I headed to one of my favorite yoga classes, where I sweat for an hour and a half, bending my body into strange knots. I then went home to cook up and enjoy a delicious organic kale and quinoa dinner. Next, I headed off to Ruby Skye and drank a number of glasses of vodka. So why bother with the healthy stuff if I’m just going to then poison my body?

I’ll tell you why, the vodkas were for a good cause. Ruby Skye was hosting a Barack Obama celebration/rally. Kamala Harris, San Francisco’s DA, spoke and there were all kinds of Barack pins and T-shirts for sale (from which I stole the oh so clever headline. No, I can’t take credit for that one.)

But the best thing about the evening was the crowd. Young, old, really old, Black, White, Asian, Latino, gay, straight, really straight… it was the most diverse group of folks I’ve ever danced to Bob Marley with.

Just imagine for a second if you will that this diversity, this joy, this amount of hope and harmony that I saw at the club last night could be the future of our country. It’s hard to envision after eight years of George. But last night, I actually caught a brief glimpse of hope for America, though it might have just been the vodka.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home