Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mazel Tov Kathy & Theda

Weddings usually mark beginnings. The start of a family. The plans for a home together. The embarkation on life’s journey as a couple. But not today.

The wedding I attended today was a celebration of two women who had already made a home. Raised two kids and sent them to college. Traveled the world together.

My aunts have been a couple for as long as I can remember. They have had all the successes I wish upon my newly married friends. After 27 years together, my aunts are my strongest example of what true partnership is.

Today, my aunts legally brought together two families that were already joined. Two families that have shared turkeys at Thanksgiving and said prayers together at Passover.

Today, I watched my grandmother get teary-eyed as she held the chuppah for her daughter and daughter-in-law.

Today, I heard pride and joy in my cousins' voices as they gave their blessings to their moms.

Today, I clapped and sang with the rest of my combined family.

It is so strange to me that anyone could look at the union that I witnessed today and think that it’s wrong. When, in reality, nothing could ever be more right.

I am grateful and proud to live in a state that recognizes the importance of marriage equality. I pray that it stays that way.
noonprop8.com

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Eliza said...

Congratulations Kathy and Theda. Audrey, your description brings me to tears, almost as if I were there. Thank you.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It's insane that a country that claims to champion freedom and the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness, is filled with people that want to impose their narrow-minded belief systems on other people. NO on prop. 8!!!

BTW, YES on prop. 2!!!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Audrey. Thank you for writing about our wedding. It was so joyous and full of laughter and love. I wish Eliza had been here. It was wonderful having Renna and Ari home. Ironic that we got married at the same time that we are getting used to being empty-nesters. I am also getting used to wearing a wedding ring!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger silbermonster said...

Here Here! Beautifully written Audrey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home