Monday, August 21, 2006

Jaded

I judge New York harshly sometimes. Once the excitement wares off, New York is too crowded, too hot, too loud, too dirty. But I realized something this morning as I got off the train in Manhattan, returning from a night in the country. There's a trick to loving New York: don't let the excitement ware off.

New York's not about falling into a pattern. It's not about finding a routine and getting into a groove. It's not about three square meals and a full-night's sleep. It's about shaking things up. It's about pushing your comfort zone and finding new things everyday. It's about eating pizza at 4am. Leaving the city for only 24 hours reminded me of this.

I've been looking forward to next week's visit back to California for days, counting down the seconds until I'm back home, even for just a week. But now, I'm also excited to return to New York after that trip. To see the city with fresh eyes again. I hope I can remember this feeling two weeks from now, when it's time to say goodbye to the Bay once more.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger I fancy mars said...

Hey there! I found your blog through Salon.com. Just wanted to concur. So, I concur. Good luck keeping things interesting, but even when it's not, always remember that there is still a lot to do (although I tend to forget that myself, and I've been here for only three years!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home