Thursday, August 17, 2006

Midtown

After two months of working on W. 33rd and Broadway, I just noticed that my office is across the street from the Empire State Building. I wondered why there are always so many tourists on my block looking up, but it never occurred to me to see what they’re looking up at. (Sorry, er, I mean: “up at what they are looking”?)

So I’ve been going on my merry way, to and from the coffee shop, when I finally noticed a sign that said “Empire State Building.” I look up and there is it – huge, towering, 102 stories. The highest building in New York, the second highest in the whole country, the fifth highest in the whole world, and remarkably easily missed.

I think this is an accurate metaphor for life, sometimes it’s the biggest things that go unnoticed.

1 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see the top 50 floors of the Empire State building from my office window, which is on the 20th floor and a few blocks north. I like to think of it has a centaur. It is quite grand and impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home