Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween for the pups

Halloween weekend. One of the few times a year when everyone, and I mean everyone, dresses up. Even our friendly, four-legged friends.

Dog costumes have really become trendy these last few years. Who started this ridiculous and yet adorable fad? I'm going to go ahead and suggest my mother. She's been dressing Stella, the family miniature poodle up in costumes for years. She claims that Stella enjoys it. And I can't really prove otherwise, as she always has a silly grin on her face when she comes bounding up to me sporting a button down shirt, cowboy hat and tutu (Stella that is, not mom).

I never thought I'd meet another dog-owner like my mom, until I moved to Brooklyn. Shoes, wigs, jewelry, these people have no mercy when it comes to costuming their furry companions. But yesterday was the Brooklyn Doggie Costume Contest and Parade, and all in the name of Halloween. So how can I not approve?

Plus it was quite a sight, dog after dog in full costume. Purebreds and mutts, coming together on the windiest day of the year - ears flapping in the wind, Yoda barking, Superman peeing on fire hydrants, Elvis sniffing Orphan Annie's butt. Here were a few of my personal faves:

The world's strongest golden retriever.



Well-known rapper, Mutt Daddy, complete with bling.



The king.



What's more appropriate for a rabbi than a beard?



Check out the pom poms on this little cheerleader.



And my all-time personal favorite: Little Orphan Annie. Don't worry, angry little pug. The sun will come out tomorrow when your owner takes off that ridiculous wig.

3 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the clown in the rainbow wig, the score of dogs in bikinis and grass skirts and the pair of lobsters?! I can't believe none of them made the cut!

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes the lobsters!! there were a couple of them in Manhattan too - they were my faves (along with a really believable lion and a "poop factory") at the Tompkins Square Park event. ..do love that annie though!!!

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about the weiner dog dressed up as a weiner? Too many missed the cut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home