Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Over the top

I've always loved waterfalls - gazing at them from below, peering over the top or swimming underneath. But never did I imagine that I would find myself rapelling down one. Never, that is, until I was standing at the mouth of Empress Falls, being hitched into a harness and rope as I gazed down through 100 feet of rushing white water.

It was terrifying, but after rapelling off cliffs all morning and canyoning through the Blue Mountains all afternoon, I felt confident I could do anything. I could. And I did.

To describe the thrill of being in the middle of a waterfall cannot do it justice. Picture tons of water pouring down on your helmet, the slippery wall sliding underneath your shoes and the wet rope running through your hands - the only thing holding you above the pool, the jagged rocks and your friends' encouraging faces, seemingly miles below. It was amazing.

Between the canyoning and the Mardi Gras party, I'm concerned I'm frontloading my trip with too much fun. How can the next three weeks possibly compare?

Here are some pictures from the cliff rapelling. For the canyoning pics, you'll have to wait for the waterproof camera to develop.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home