Monday, June 16, 2008

’08 rules!

As a follow up to Friday’s post about my sister’s graduation, I figured I should tell you about the event. It was one of the funnier things I’d ever seen. Totally brought me back to the ridiculousness of high school, and Berkeley High in particular.

Twenty different student speeches, two teacher addresses, words from the principal, two live vocal performances and a choreographed dance performance. All of this before they called out names to walk the stage and receive their diplomas.

And through all these speeches, songs, dances, and spoken word, there was a common theme… was it the diversity? No. The voice of the next generation breaking through this confusing world of messaging? No. The encouragement of blossoming minds to go forth and solve the planet’s problems? No. It was the one unifying belief between the black students and the white students, the Asian/Pacific Islanders, and the Latino population… that class of 2008 rules!

Yes, I’m sure the class of 2008 was a wonderful class. And I’m sure the halls of Berkeley High won’t be the same without them, as put forth in one girl’s speech. But I wished I was in possession of a giant sign to hold up from where I sat on the grass of Berkeley’s Greek Theater saying: “None of this will matter in two years.” I mean, I know I wake up every morning in my adult life thinking, “The planet’s falling apart, the economy is tanking, it’s foggy outside again, BUT… class of ’95 is awesome! Yeeeeah!”

I hope I’m not offending you, if you’re reading this, Katie. I think you’d agree with me. Really, the whole thing was adorable. Though I’d have to say the highlight was when one girl’s tube top kept falling down during the dance to reveal her shiny silver bra. I actually caught it on video and will upload as soon as possible. I’m such a good big sister, I hope you treasure this post forever, Katie. (Katie was not in this dance number)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home