Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In which I lie to a nice man on 8th Avenue

“Hi beautiful.”
“Um, hello.”
“What’s your name?”
“Audrey.”
“I’m Rohan.”
“Nice to meet you.”
“I think you’re very pretty, Audrey, and I’d like to take you out some time.”
“I appreciate the offer, but… I can’t.”
“Why not?”
“Because, um, I have a boyfriend.” (lie)
“So, who doesn’t?”
“Uh…”
“It’s good to have a back up plan. We should hang out in case things don’t work out with your boyfriend.”
“Well…”
“We can just be friends for now. We’ll go get coffee, see movies. And if your relationship isn’t going so well, you have a plan B!”
“Well, that’s an interesting idea, but…”
“So, what’s your number?”
“I can’t give it to you.”
“Why not, because of your boyfriend?”
“No, because I don’t just give my number out to strange men on the street.” (lie)
“Well, we’ll hang out and then we won’t be strangers anymore.”
“True.”
“Here’s my card. It’s been a pleasure walking with you, bye.”
“Bye. Um, I’ll call you.” (lie)

A note to my male readers: While I have no intention of calling this man, I appreciated the fact that he approached me. It was flattering, provided entertainment on my two-block walk to the coffee shop (yes, he followed me for two blocks), and it made for a funny story to laugh about with my officemate. And hey guys, ya never know if you don’t try. So why will I not call him? Because he just wasn’t that cute. If you’re gonna go up to strange girls on the street, make sure that you’re cute. Also, I don’t recommend calling yourself a “Plan B.” Not so flattering.

1 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must also be cute if you wanna harass someone (see link below). Although, you make a good point that there's a fine line between harassment and say...making new friends on the street :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkyhVZWY3ls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home