Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sperm Sisters

In keeping with my weekly Tuesday memoirs, I've posted another one up at Auds and Ends. This one illustrates the joys of growing up in an "alternative" Berkeley family.

The last month’s issue of Parenting Magazine had an article comparing the most popular names of 1900 to those of 1950 and 2000. As an unmarried, childless woman in my 20’s, Parenting is not a publication I’m usually seen reading, especially last month’s issue (if I’m going to read about trends in Parenting, they may as well be current) but it was in the seat next to me on the train, and I had forgotten to bring a book that morning. I was amazed that the Michaels, Jasons and Jennifers of my graduating class were Berthas, Harolds and Mildreds in the class of 1901, and are now Mackenzies, Jacksons and Skylers. Names have shockingly different trends, apparently, like clothing, though I have doubts that Euphemia will ever make as brave a return as the miniskirt has in recent months. “Wow, I love those cute bell-bottoms. Where’d you get them, Mabel?”
Read more.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee, i'm mentioned in your blog. i feel almost famous.

and to be fair, i was about 15 or so, not 18, when we all found out. it was because your sister (prodded along by my sister) found it out, and rather than have everyone keep up the lie, the truth was revealed.

-tenay

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

don't worry, my sperm sister (tenay). audrey calls it poetic license. ari is no longer 15, and Dick is not married. what really matters is that our "dad" is a stud and our biological family is pretty awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home