Friday, May 25, 2007

Gore ‘08

I proudly displayed my “Gore ‘08” sticker all the way back to Brooklyn last night from his lecture at the 92nd street Y on the Upper East Side. The message makes me hopeful, it makes me laugh (because I know he’s not going to run), but it also saddens me, because I can’t help but think about what a different world we’d be in right now if only they’d counted those Florida votes. If only there were different justices in the supreme court that fall of 2000. If only Gore was in office for the last seven years.

But why dwell on the past? Last night, Al Gore spoke about the present. He spoke about the sad state that our nation is in, with the majority of the media spending most of their time talking about Brittney’s most recent bouts of insanity rather than the issues that are actually affecting the world. The news stations that focus on Hilary’s hairstyle rather than her opinions. He spoke about the fact that the majority of Americans not only don’t know the truth about what’s going on, they don’t care to find out nor do anything about it.

This is what hit me the hardest, because I think he’s right. When I think about myself and my group of friends… we’re well-educated, we’re active, we’re have a decent amount of money. We’re the folks who should be doing something. We should be making our opinions heard and working towards a better future for our country. And what have any of us done?

Really, what have we been doing, guys?

3 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Global Citizen said...

you're right - in theory, we're the ones w/ the money, education, and intellect to make a difference... we are way more passionate about issues than the rednecks and middle-country conservatives - we should be able to outdo them... but i think the big problem is that we're so isolated geographically - in our little NYC / SF / LA / Boston enclaves that we can't swing enough electoral votes to take the elections we deserve. the trick is to convince our brethren to spread themselves out more evenly to red states... culture junkies moving to cultural deserts... michael pollen, i'll even rent you a place in Tulsa.

augh. i'm so frustrated with american society and politics. sorry, just needed to vent.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger frances yasmeen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger frances yasmeen said...

That and we don't believe in using guns...

I keep thinking of the freakin' Boston "Tea Party". No Taxation without representation.

Guessing you've seen American Blackout?

I was actually really tempted to buy property in Tulsa last fall, when i rode through with a band. Many times I have spoken of the bus I'm going to charter to move a critical mass of people from new york city to Tusla.

Maybe I'm just enamored because i think it's the one city i could ride a motorcycle and not get hit by a car. There were no cars. Just wide empty perfect asphalt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home