Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Makeup lesson

“There’s no right or wrong way to put on makeup,” Racine told us. “It’s all based on personal preference. Did you all bring your makeup from home?”

We spilled the contents of our makeup bags across the tables that had been set up in her brightly-lit living room. Of the four of us attending the class, I won for most makeup illiterate. Jolanka had a variety of glosses and powders, Katy had the most brushes, and Lizzie brought almost the whole Mac counter with her. I poked embarrassedly at my Forever 21 eye shadow.

Luckily, Racine let us use her palette to practice. She started with my left eye, and explained each step carefully, from the concealer to the varying colors of shadow, to the carefully applied liner, to the mascara.

It was a lot of work, and I decided then there was no way I would ever have the patience to go through this every day. As I’ve said before, my office is lucky I take the time to put on pants.

“There,” Racine held up a mirror and I peered into my reflection.

Who was this mysterious person looking back at me? She looked chic, she looked sexy, she looked nothing like me. Perhaps, now that my eyes are 31, it’s time to stop buying shadow at Forever 21.



I came home after the lesson and walked in to Brian's room. He waited about two minutes until he asked: "What the fuck happened to your eye?" Hmmm, not the response I was looking for. I think I need to do some experimentation with this whole makeup thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home