Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why I should win the award for coolest big sister

Last night I went with my brother to see the biggest Bay Area teen sensation, The Cataracs. Well, went with my brother is a bit of an overstatement. He was going and I was allowed to go as long as I brought my own friends and didn’t talk to him too much. Seriously, you’d think I was the little sister here, not 16 years his elder.

Tyler had been talking about this band and this show for weeks. Apparently they’re THE biggest thing right now. I listened to their music online, kinda catchy. Plus, the Rickshaw Stop is a cool little venue just a few blocks from my house, so it was easy enough to stop by.

So last night, headed down to the show with my friend, Deidre. As we’re waiting in line, the first thing that happens is the kid behind us says, "So, you ladies are kind of in the older crowd here." We hadn’t even gotten in the door, and we’re already standing out like sore thumbs. Really old, sore thumbs.

He goes, “That’s cool, I’m a little older too – I’m 21.” Yeah, us too, we tell him.

Although, as we were walking in the door, I overheard the exchange between that guy and the bouncer. Apparently, he was not allowed in because his ID wasn’t real. So, I guess he wasn’t 21 after all.

We get in to the crowd of teenagers and walk over to the bar, which, of course, was empty. As we place the only order of the night, I scan the crowd in front of the stage. There’s my brother, easy to spot because, though 15-years-old, he’s the tallest kid there. He and his friends are all decked out in their finest – baggy jeans sagging halfway down their thighs, baseball caps turned to the side, and – the finishing touch – backpacks. Empty backpacks, purely for style.

They’re up near the front of the stage, bopping back and forth and chatting to some scantily-clad girls. I decided not to interrupt his grove.

Another adult arrives at bar and it turns out Deidre knows him. We’re introduced and we ask him what his excuse it for being part of this teenage madness. Turns out he’s there because his friend is the band manager. Long story short, I chat it up with the band manager and he says, “Of course I can introduce your brother to the band.”

Now, armed with this new power, I go up to Tyler and his friends. Turns out he was a little bit happy to see me anyway, even before I busted out my VIP connections.

Needless to say, Ty and his little buddies were pretty stoked. Deidre and I did not stay to see the Cataracs go on, because it was already 11pm and we were tired old ladies. But before I left, I introduced Tyler to the band manager and gave his friends a sip of my beer. So, I think my job there was done. Coolest big sister ever.

4 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

big sisters are so underrated. i have two and i love em to death. nice piece. and btw 21 is not old.

-guy from the cataracs

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

31 is not old!

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cataracs might be the biggest thing in the bay right now.

It was absolutely packed in there.

Great show :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its interesting that you think you're too old to see a band called the Cataracs. Sounds like you're just the right age for a band with that name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home